Release Date: March 17th, 2015
Format: PC Game
First playthrough time: 3 hours
- Great atmospheric art style
- Good twist on a popular fairy tale
- Interesting collectibles give secret hunting players insight into the creation of the game and character backstories
- Dialog finds fun ways to rhyme which plays well into the fairy tale theme
- Multiple difficulty levels that actually feel like what they say they are
- Good level variety
- “Magic” abilities are hard to use control wise
- Not as long as I wanted and the ending leaves you kind of hanging (2nd game?)
- Voice acting isn’t stellar and the writing is a bit overly dramatic sometimes
- I’d have liked some more polygons on the main character, she felt blocky compared to the other models
I was attracted to this game for its art style and unique twist on the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale. I really liked the atmosphere of the game and even though the voice acting was perhaps too flat and the writing a bit too dramatic (occasionally an amusing combo) I liked the story a lot. My biggest complaint was that I wanted the game to be longer to really answer all the questions I had, but it looks like that’ll have to wait for a possible game two. The “magic” also seemed to be finicky about whether it wanted to work when I hit the buttons and I found the last ability you learn impossible to use because of this (though I didn’t actually need it).
Gameplay wise I liked the level variety and the artistic changes in setting and feel as the character changes location. The different abilities you acquired all felt right for the different situations and although there could’ve been a few more enemies for diversity, it seemed appropriate for the story. The various obstacles and terrain you had to navigate felt refreshing in each new environment and there was never a moment of “oh great, this again”, though boss battles did typically take a few tried to figure out how to beat. Overall I found the game very enjoyable and would recommend it to anyone that likes a short hack-n-slash game with a folklore themed story.